Thread: Fish & Game :(
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2010, 10:56 AM   #31
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 for Boating View Post
I guess I will share my story as it seems like the F&G were pretty active this weekend. So here it goes.

On my dock fishing with my two sons on and off for about an hour. (Ages 4 and 6) Kids get bored; walk off the dock and on to the beach. (About 25 feet away) I’m left with the rod (kids Zebco) and hook a fish. (Nice won actually) Call to the boys to come help. They get to the dock with my brother who helps lift the fish up, show it to the boys, let them touch it and get a picture of my older son with it. Quickly tossed back in and then F&G arrives to say they saw the whole thing and watched me land the fish and I did not appear to be “helping” my son how to learn. $93 later and off they go.

I understand the law but sort of rough I think. Funny this was as they were writing the ticket; my youngest son comes up and asks “Can we still fish?” I’m speechless as what to say and the officer’s don’t even bat an eye.
Well, I hope the money goes to good use.

As a somewhat unrelated topic, they tied up and disembarked on my dock which I did not really have a problem with but in general, does F&G and or Marine Patrol have the right to do this?
F&G has the right to search you and your property without a warrant if a strong suspision of guilt for a wildlife related crime is perceived. So, yes, F&G can dock without your permission, I do not believe Marine Patrol has the same authority.

The thing to remember is this, when taking a child fishing, the idea is for the adult to have a license and then teach the child how to fish. If you had the license then there would be absolutely no issue with what you did. It sounds like you understand that.

Just to put these fines in perspective. The F&G officer could have done all of the following in the OP's situation. Confiscated the paddle boat, superman fishing rod, all tackle aboard the boat, suspended the oppurtunity to even purchase another license for up to four years and given a fine of $93. All of this is well within the scope of what they can do, for charging someone with poaching, which is what fishing and hunting without a license is.

You got off with a warning that you had to feel, by only having to pay a fine. Verbal warnings in situations like these do not deter it from happening again.

When I hear of people saying that I have never had a good experience with a F&G officer, I think to myself, what were they expecting to receive for service for breaking the law (in some cases).

Personally I have never had an experience with a CO that was not appropriate for the situation. I have been yelled at for driving an ATV down a dirt road, been talked to about why we were not allowed in certain areas after a certain date (closing of an atv park) and been helped in a quest to find a stock of game.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jmen24 For This Useful Post: