View Single Post
Old 08-13-2017, 03:50 AM   #14
ApS

Post It Was Peaceful—Once...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patiently Watching View Post
Some serious whining...There are a ton of wake surfing boats in Winter Harbor. I don't thing the Wolfeboro PD is too worried about your neighbors and their fireworks. As for noise across Winter Harbor -
are you using an amplifying listening device to drive yourself nuts?
Alabaman Helen Keller, who was born with no hearing and no sight, is quoted—in American Sign Language—she would rather have her hearing than her eyesight. While I don't necessarily agree, I learned of this quote as a teen, and have been very protective of my hearing. This has paid off for this bird-watcher—now in retirement—as I can "bird by ear".

Snippet: Once, at a sale in a huge garage, a lady said, "Oh, listen to the Robin". While I should have kept my mouth shut, I corrected instantly, "That's an Osprey".

Seeing the problems my BIL and other friends have with hearing aids, I've distanced myself away from all amplified noise. So, how should I respond when the amplified noise comes to me?

My friendly neighbors who were absent during that "Birthday Party" may not be so friendly should another "Birthday Party" occur.

Those "tons" of wake-boaters play amplified noise—except when they want to speak to one another!

This site shows the Marriott property at 580 feet of elevation, so subtract 504 feet for the lake, and you'll have aircraft making their take-off runs much higher than the cottages along the lakefront. We never knew a plane was in the air until we heard two things:

• First, the [louder] echo from the opposite shore.

• Second, a short buzz when the aircraft got airborne near the end of the runway.

• Third, twin-engine aircraft were noisier, but very infrequent. (OK, three. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
The Marriott's are not the only ones with Wake Boats.
I didn't say that.

But you've reminded me of last week, when I watched a Marriott Wake Boat approaching their boat house. Everything when smoothly until the two wake boards—Kah-Thunk—struck the entrance!