View Single Post
Old 10-07-2018, 03:01 AM   #31
ApS

Wink Cars That Float...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post
Unfortunately ____ happens! No one can prevent accidents from happening. In the final analysis each individual, not big brother, is responsible for themselves. It may not always be enough, but that’s all we got.
In the prime of life, I was required to take the $2000+ drivers license exam in Germany. One "practical" test was of one's physical reaction at a simulated driver's position. It involved the time it took to move one's foot from accelerator to brake pedal.

Seniors' licenses are automatically cancelled at the age of 50 for a re-testing. You must carry a reflective vest in your car. Driving with Marijuana in your system = fine of $1000+.

"Points" may transfer to other countries—and the US is targeted! Failures are so frequent, you may not finish your coffee before the previous applicant has failed and walked away. Without close study, you'll likely fail this "International Sign":

(Correct answer, 1, 2 and 4).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
If Ted Kennedy drove one of those [Amphicar] he might have been President someday! But instead, he found out that an Oldsmobile Delmont 88 didn't float.
In the 60s, he could have bought a Volkswagen instead for $1650.

(Courtesy Wikipedia, via National Lampoon parody of a similar Doyle-Dane-Bernbach VW ad).

My Florida neighbor owns property close to Chappaquiddick, and advised me that he knows the operator of the ferry from the Vineyard.

This winter's next step is to follow-up on why told me only that.

I recently stumbled on a 1980s ad for a second-hand Amphicar—where one's $1,650 could have blossomed into $47,000—which was just paid for that red Amphicar above.

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote