View Single Post
Old 02-05-2020, 11:32 AM   #41
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winni1952 View Post
I'm planning on retiring this year and am considering purchasing land in Tuftonboro (possibly Wolfeboro) and building in the near future.

I have never done this so am very concerned and I'm hoping I can benefit from some of the forum members experiences/knowledge.

Take the time and attend the International Builders Trade Show in Orlando Florida. TRADE SHOW The is the largest trade show in the world.

I view new homes being constructed in the Lakes Region that have 1970's technology. And perfectly fine if that is what one wants. But usually, folks don't have a clue what technologies are out there.

Just about everyone has a smart phone today. Yes, there are a few hold outs with flip phones.

Security cameras. They are all "wireless" now right? Well, where do you think that the power comes from? It comes from a wire.

The biggest mistake I see is the placement of the fireplace and the placement of the televisions.

The best one that I have seen was a lake home built with a whole wall fireplace/stone. Absolutely magnificent looking. Except no place for the living room television. So the television is placed on a metal TV dinner table with the TV wires running across the floor. Many/most of the HGTV home shows rarely show where the televisions go. Many/most of the fine home magazines rarely show a television set in any living room. Yet everyone (mostly) has a television set. Pre-wire for in ceiling/in wall surround sound sometimes called home theater. The sound coming from in ceiling/in wall speakers is light years ahead of any speakers on any television.

The heating system. Everyone want "high efficiency". The last one I viewed the heating contractor has had to make 7 (that I counted) visits AFTER the home was finished - to get this high efficiency heating system to work properly - as there are a multitude of "sensors" that either were not communicating properly with each other or just were not working properly. And that heating contractor is a well known highly rated heating contractor. It's not the contractor - it's the extremely complicated high efficiency heating systems.

If I were having a new home built - I'd put in some sort of redundant back up heating. Either a wood fireplace, propane wall heater, electric baseboard, or Monitor type kerosene heater.

Put in a whole house generator OR pre-wire for one.

Double up on the number of electrical outlets. Most builders will only put outlets in to meet code. With almost no thought as to practicality or customer usage.

The RG6 and cat5e/cat6 wires. Know where your router and modem are going to be placed. The basement corner is usually not the best place.

The garage door sensors. Pre-wire for the garage door sensors. I have seen way too many new homes where the wires for the door sensors are stapled to the sheetrock and not hidden behind the sheetrock. As the garage door sensors are an afterthought.

The land. Try to find a level lot on a paved road. Although many will state that living on a dirt road is fine. Just remember - dirt roads freeze in Winter and in Spring there is mud season.

How to prevent water in basement. Triple up on perimeter drains. You will have to ask for this. I have seen way too many new homes that develop water in basement and sump pumps have to be retrofitted.

Do check that the lot has access to cable - for internet. Not all areas have cable. Yes, there is satellite internet. Just not as good as cable internet.

Do your homework way ahead of time.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheProfessor For This Useful Post: