Thread: Graveyard
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2020, 01:16 PM   #42
ursa minor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
Assuming you mean the path I plotted, the rocks are very well marked in there, it's not as bad as it looks once you get to know it. The worst and most confusing parts of it are the section north of Pistol because the spar colors flip half way through, and the section west of Pistol Island because you need to pass between FL81 and the island which is not intuitive (and of course, the spar colors flip again...). I skip the FL81 part by turning SSE at mark 1. Once you are past Pistol (at mark 4), you just need to keep the red-tops on the right and black tops on the left all the way to the LI bridge. It's basically like following a river upstream (red right return) from turn 4.

That said, for some reason, I have never run that route from west to east, I am confident I would have to slow more than once if I tried.
As Dave mentions above, what's really "sexy" about this route is the red markers swapping sides of the boat between where Dave's course starts and the first waypoint. The first time I did that heading toward Melvin Village from Pistol I was blown away even as I saw it on the chart in front of me. Definitely not for the faint of heart or those not familiar with the area. I love putting around this area in the Whaler, I only recently got up the courage to go through here on plane and I live nearby!