Old 04-17-2020, 10:54 AM   #46
Riviera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigstan View Post
Where does $1,500 a year come in
$250/mo X 6 months per year, as reported by the LDS

Quote:
You must be a lawyer, and probably a real estate lawyer.
Nope, but I am familiar with commercial real estate.

Quote:
More worried about real estate tax loss than the opportunity loss of revenue taxes.
Nope. I am as pro-business as they come. However, I believe all businesses should be on an equal playing field, and I do not believe it is appropriate for a municipality to offer terms to one business, and not others. If the City were to offer the land under a public RFP process, and allow the dock rights to go to the proposal that provides the best economic benefit to the community, I would support that approach.

Quote:
Ugh and ick to lawyers.
Like everything in life, there are good ones, and bad ones. The good ones are problem solvers. The bad ones are problem finders.

Quote:
As long as we find reasons to say no instead of yes to businesses the area will stay a run down eyesore.
I believe the City has been short sighted in its view of the Weirs. They have been saying "yes", to businesses that are focused on creating parking lots for MW week, instead of focusing on ways to alter that dynamic. I'm not opposed to the Dive concept, although I think they had a somewhat flawed business model, and are now grasping at straws. That said, I am opposed to them leasing waterfront access property, for $1,500 per year. The water rights to a dock are worth far more than that, and if the City is going to offer that land/water right up for private use, they should investigate all potential options, and select the best alternative that is presented. If the best alternative is the Dive, so be it.
Riviera is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Riviera For This Useful Post: