View Single Post
Old 10-23-2019, 09:42 AM   #22
Biggd

Thanked 1,070 Times in 675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
So yes you want a for stroke.

Here is my personal experience with a Jet Ski.... My friend won a 2009 Seadoo GTI 155 SE, and immediately sold it to me. I got it in August that year, and got about 12 hours on before the end of the season. and got the 10 hour check-up done by a Seadoo dealership... All in all it wasn't bad except they recommended replacing the wear plate.... So I said go ahead, but please save the old one because I would like to see it... Long story short they didn't save it for me....

After that year for the next two years I averaged about 25 hours a year, the only maintenance was two change the oil every year.... and my regular mechanic handled that. The machine ran flawlessly.....

On the 3rd full season I decided to change the plugs, because performance had dropped... This brought the performance right back... I also replaced the battery that year.....got about 20 hours on the machine that year.....

The 4th season after an oil change by my regular mechanic went well, no real problems but only about 15 hours on the machine.....and a oil change at the end of the season once again by my regular mechanic......

the 5th season went well except the battery started to not hold a charge and I didn't even get 10 hours on the machine.... so no oil change....

the 6th season, well it was time to sell, and did so in no time flat, the guy that bought it put a new battery in and said it fired right up. He also had it looked at at the end of the season, and said the dealer recommended new plugs and new wear plate as the current one was showing some wear.....

With my big ass, that GTI 155 would top out at 53 mph... plenty fast enough.... I have been on more powerful machines, and they are simply not worth the extra maintenance and dependability hit for the supercharged engines.....

Now lets talk some comparison, I have one neighbor with a Honda, he has had it now for 15 years or so, with very little issues, he changes the oil regularly.... Another neighbor had a Yamaha, it fouled plugs on a regular basis, seemingly everytime he brought it in for service......

the moral of the story is, you can have problems with any machine. How bad those problems are depends on Maintenance, and dealership/mechanic honesty....

My biggest recommendation is to stay away from the supercharged engines.... all that horse power is not needed.... my GTI 155, with me and my brother in law on it, combined coming in close to 600 lbs, still moved like lighting...toping out in the mid 40s I believe.... although on the initial punch of the throttle, showed a lot of bow up attitude for some reason or another......
When you say wear plate are you talking about the wear ring? Those wear rings will last a long time unless you ground it a lot and pick up sand and rocks. Even if it's worn the only thing it will affect is performance.
Mine have some scares from picking up rocks but the ski's still work fine.
The key is to shut it off before you get in shallow water. I learned that the hard way.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote