View Single Post
Old 08-17-2008, 07:18 AM   #38
ApS

Default Insurgent History...

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
"...Can anyone make a good case why this train wreck known as the Speed Limit Forum should be kept open...?"
It can always be reopened if needed: how many of the "boating-incident" threads didn't end up in the sub-forum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post
"...Let those who want to continue the debate create and moderate their own forums. The tools and servers to do this are easily available these days..."
Skip knows how to craft a website, and could take $100 of donations to set one up. Since I've co-moderated two Wolfeboro forums previously—with another member here—I hereby volunteer to work at the new, Speed-Limit-Only, website!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post
"...Don, Unfortunately, the negative tone seems to be a growing problem for many websites..."
It's frustration: it's another contentious election year, plus gasoline prices have never been higher.

Some History...

Local insurgents closed down one Winnipesaukee-area website www.tuftonboroforums.com and attacked two other Wolfeboro forums. One was nearly closed down on April 30, 2006 with web-savvy tricks. A very different local forum simply purged every boating thread every few days!

The single Wolfeboro site that did allow the free-for-all remains operable today. The Moderator (a member here) removed only the very-worst posts, consisting of threats, revealing names, and even measuring the docks of supporters for code violations!

Not accustomed to issues of such controversy, some regular contributors were lost. Merrymeeting and ApS are members there, and Merrymeeting hasn't posted at Wolfeboro for a very long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
"...Don't talk about people being on the lake now, It would take many, many years for a lot of these folks to equal my time behind a wheel on Winni..."
Try the oars, tillers, or paddles of those trying to enjoy the lake, and you'll see the problem other than from behind a wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrothead View Post
"...your idea to have one final, heavily moderated thread where everyone can post their final opinion on the speed limit is a good one..."
It's time for another catharsis: in my own closing statement, expect to see my pledge to not mention the word "speed" at all. (Or "sea-kayak" )

There are other "trigger-words" that should be part-and-parcel of each member's pledge. Anyone violating their own pledge should be at risk of post-deletions—and with no explanation needed.

IMHO.