View Single Post
Old 08-11-2020, 07:43 PM   #15
trackeer

Talking milfoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by cishcap View Post
curious if anyone knows the long-term plan for managing milfoil in Pickerel Cove? or a contact or online resource? TX
As a resident in Pickerel cove, first let me say that many of the weed growths have nothing to do with Milfoil, what has happened is growth was allowed to overtake a larger portion of the cove over the years. I have been told the cove was at one time a pebbled sand bottom, the weeds contained towards the back small section of the cove by the twin culverts.
The cove was treated in 2018 for milfoil, the company launched their air-boat from our ramp, they treated most of the cove. There is another weed that looks similar to Milfoil, but truthfully I do see Milfoil as a lake problem but in the cove Milfoil takes second place to the the lily pads and other weeds gone amuck.
Milfoil is not just a Pickerel Cove issue, it's prevalent around the lake and that leads to the problem of treatments and who foots the bill. The last treatment was picked up by the state, who pays the tab next time and how much remains to be seen.
Milfoil and most any water plant that is not totally uprooted and removed can re-root as well replant elsewhere, hence why they ask anyone moving a boat to clean it before and after launch.
Pickerel Cove is a sweet spot, the cove has an abundance of wildlife, it's quite, and there isn't a massive neighborhood around the cove, if it weren't for the train or a open exhaust boat passing by you'd be hard pressed to know your around the corner from everything Lake Winni.
Weeds, Milfoil, and some minor annoyances can be dealt with, we do our best to keep them at bay around our waterfront, for us in the cove the biggest issue is the Culvert, but even then it's a matter of sizing the boat or either buying or renting a slip outside the cove.
Property values have skyrocketed around the lake and in fact most of NH, nothing like having some place to get away from it all, Covid-19 vs Milfoil, I'll take the Milfoil, we know how to get rid of that.
trackeer is offline   Reply With Quote