View Single Post
Old 06-05-2015, 07:42 AM   #1
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default Is the lake any Safer then it was 10 years ago

I have purposely opened this thread in the boating issues Section of the forum. As I know the direction it is likely to head. But that is ok I think that a Thread like this may provided some interesting view points.

So let me start off with my feelings:

No the lake is not any safer.

1. Understanding and obeying of the 150' is still a concern. I still just as many people violating this rule as I did 10 years ago. While some are new people to the pass time of boating, there are many life long lake goers that have a hard time with this rule. Both from judging the distance, and also from the aspect of when it applies. Bottom line is if your within 150' feet of anything slow down to no wake

2. Understanding the Navigation Aids and how to use them. I have been on this lake boating for almost 30 years now. However every year I find people on the wrong side of markers trying to tell me that I am wrong. These people eventually either figure it out, or end up on the wrong side of the wrong marker and damage their boat. The only improvement I see here is that we now have Boat US, and Sea Tow on the lake to respond.

3. This to some degree goes with #1 but I still see the same number of boats every year, that don't give people participating in water skiing , tubing, wake boarding etc. respect. Already this year I have had someone following in my wake while my stepson was skiing. Yes my stepson was behind me 75' and they where behind him 200'... but that isn't safe had he fallen... I of course got him out of harms way... and the boat out from behind us.

4. People still go out on the lake in conditions for which there boats or PWC are not really meant to be out in.

5. People still have a me first attitude and don't understand right away positioning as it regards to Marine Navigation.

Bottom line is well there are many boaters that know the rules there are still just as many that do not... I don't believe that the boating Safety course, nor speed limits have really done anything that make the lake safer. All they have done is put more restrictions in place, or more red tape to navigate around.

If time allows this year, I hope to have a chance to get in touch with the marine patrol and see if they have any statics on incidents on Lake Winnipesaukee over the last decade.

Last edited by LIforrelaxin; 06-05-2015 at 08:49 AM.