View Single Post
Old 09-26-2019, 02:48 PM   #1
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts
Default Strange Encounter

We make the run from Glendale to Welch and back nearly 6 months of the year and encounter our share of idiot boaters. Mostly boats attempting to speed just in front of us coming from the left. So I just slow and let them go by. Today was different and weird and potentially dangerous.

Heading toward Welch just past FL 26 I saw a boat about a mile to our left heading south at about 70 degrees to our course. Clear, sunny with a slight breeze. Watching briefly, I could see that we were at the same 20 mph speed on an intersecting course. We were the only two boats anywhere in sight. The other driver then had about ¾ mile to make a slight adjustment in speed (up or down) or slight adjustment in course so as to unwind the intersecting course. I maintained speed and course and watched the idiot. He continued on a course to directly impact us so when he had closed to about 250’ I did a full stop to let him pass. Only then did he come out of his comma and stop as well about 100’ away.

As he turned and slowly passed to our stern, I offered the usual advice that one does in such situations. Both he and a woman passenger acted as if we were not there and motored on. Maybe he gets right and left mixed up however both in that boat had a long clear look at us. Maybe nearly blind.

The boat was a dark color tri-toon with some canvas protection. Beware.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote