View Single Post
Old 12-09-2017, 05:31 AM   #70
ApS

Question Evolution of "Elective" Healthcare...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post
If US subsidizes R&D, Why can I buy the same meds in Canada for 20 - 30% less?
I've been asking the same question for years, but only found "Opinion Editorials" (Op-Eds) on the subject.

My guesses are that:

1) Canada helps to fund Canada-Care through fossil-fuel sales to the US; so, American drivers are helping to finance Canada-Care at the gas pump.

2) Canada, with 10% of the US population, can still make major "bulk-purchases" of pharmaceuticals. (Think "wholesale").

3) Until a friend refused a prescription filled with a med from Bangladesh, I didn't know the extent of "other manufacturers" of pharmaceuticals. Just what Canada's pharmacies are selling is a big unknown.

4) Aetna advises they (really, their subscribers) are paying for surgeries deriving from "gender dysphoria". While such elective surgeries go back to the early 70s, their frequency has exploded within the last decade. A life-long regimen of drugs is required to accompany this elective surgery. (And to electively reverse it ) The VA pays for this elective surgery, too.

5) Along with such elective lifestyle choices, NPR reports we are also funding HIV/AIDS patients' drugs. Each patient costs $500,000 for their lifetime purchases of antiretroviral drugs.

6) "We have met the enemy—and it is us"...