View Single Post
Old 09-13-2018, 07:00 PM   #24
Cal-to-NH

Default Epilogue

Hi Folks

So sorry it took me so long to post. I have the follow-up that was asked for.

The bottom line is that the local cemeteries between Laconia and the Lakes Towns have many headstones with the latter "Willows" images, but sadly no death-angels - and I now know the reason why.

Between 1688 and 1768 there were a series of 4 Wars between England and France which were fought here as a surrogate war between English New England and French Canada (We called them the French and Indian Wars and Canada calls it the Wars of Conquest.).

Bottom line is that while Southern New England and the seacoast-accessible towns of NH and ME were pretty much settled (and safe from the interior), our beautiful region was in the great "disputed zone" between the two factions and very unsafe to be in. The Natives up here were restless, you could say (another way of saying it is that they weren't really on our side!).
Between War #3 and #4 there was a peace between 1748 - 1754 where most of the towns up here were incorporated by the Masonian Proprietors but nobody much came - and the break-out of the 4th war pretty much delayed real settlement until after 1768.

The headstone death-angel period of the 1680s - 1740s was entirely missed up here, but as was noted in this thread we caught the "Willow" period. I went to the cemeteries off of old Rt 109 and Route 106 and found some stones dating back to the 1820 - 1830 range but that was it. So go South were settlement was better established, more easily supplied by the sea, and situated geographically to ride-out the hostilities . We ain't got no death-angels here.....

Interesting that the local Historical Society couldn't help me when I reached-out.

Last edited by Cal-to-NH; 09-19-2018 at 07:09 AM.
Cal-to-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cal-to-NH For This Useful Post: