View Single Post
Old 05-12-2021, 10:24 PM   #17
Juiced06GTO

Everyone pays for things based on their perceived quality and value, whether it is food, furniture, cars, boats or clothes, why is labor any different? When an employer hires someone, you take into account their education, skills, and what you know of their work ethic. This perceived value of the employee, market conditions, and what you expect in return (ROI) all factor in to what you offer to pay them. Unfortunately, everyone is not worth $15/hr and every job does not require a person with the skills and abilities that do warrant $15/hr.

People also need to decide whether they are just working a job or if they are building a career and better life for themselves.

People need to realize it isn't always about the money. It needs to be about acquiring knowledge, skills, working to make you and the people around you better, and working hard at what you do.

I recently hired a diesel tech for my shop who had worked nothing but dead end jobs, he was working at a truck parts supplier making $14/hour at 42 years old turning brake drums and doing whatever crap job they threw at him. I came to know him because we purchase a lot of our maintenance parts there. He is what most would consider an odd duck, a little socially awkward, but was always the first person to greet me when I went into the store. He applied to our tech position and I had him in for an interview. Come to find out he had been studying diesel mechanics on his own, learning how to tune chevy LS engines, and doing hydraulic troubleshooting, and has somehow kept an 87 Monte Carlo on the road as his daily driver in New England without it rusting away and falling apart!

His drive to learn new skills on his own and excitement at actually having an opportunity at a company that could provide him some stability and a career sold me. I hired him as a tech at $29/hr plus his union benefits. He has been nothing short of a stellar employee and is working now to buy his first house with his wife and two kids.

I had plenty of other interviews for the position, some probably on paper more qualified, but none that matched his drive to better their situation. That's why he got the opportunity and why he is earning more than a "living wage" now.
Juiced06GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Juiced06GTO For This Useful Post: