Thread: 5G and GPS
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2021, 09:32 AM   #9
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-3 Guy View Post
The USCG turned off U.S. based LORAN-C transmitters in early 2010. I was taught the use of LORAN while in USN Naval Flight Officer training on T-43 aircraft. This was in the late 80s, and a lot of what we learned then has not been a part of the syllabus for years, maybe decades, including day and night celestial navigation (just a bit less precise than GPS). I was wondering if BroadHopper was referring to LORAN-C, which wouldn't make much sense in the given context, or something else.
I used to work for THE company that designed and manufactured the Loran-C transmitters for the US coast guard (and other countries).

I spent 6 months in Egypt installing a system for traffic control. I'm sure now that's all gone to GPS. I only mention this due to the recent news about the Suez being blocked by the container ship. I spent many days driving up and down the length of the Suez back in the day.

I started at the company as a technician and ended up developing their software for remote control of the Loran-C transmitters, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rich For This Useful Post: