View Single Post
Old 09-28-2020, 06:42 AM   #31
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Who to stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
I'm opposed to the NWZ for similar reasons. However, I ll speculate that it is easier to enforce than the 150' rule (which may be why no other state has such a rule. If you are too fast going by MP, you may get stopped. If there are two boats passing too close/too fast, to each other, which one do you stop? And, was it really less than 150'? If you re in a NWZ, it is obvious where you are, and it's an easy stop/ticket.
I note that prevailing winds coming from the NW lead to some good sized waves squeezing between Pig and Lockes, and depending on your course may give some difficulty to a boat trying to go <6 kts.
Who to stop re: 150 ft rule? An interesting question.

A friend was traveling on the Rochester-Alton speedway, aka Rte 11, at the back of a line of cars, all doing around 63-65. A trooper going the other way made a u-turn, put on the blue lights and pulled him over. Trooper said he clocked him at 64. My friend respectfully said "but I was in a line of around 10 cars all doing the same speed ". The trooper told him "you were the first one I caught up with."

After running his license, he gave him a verbal warning.

Dave