View Single Post
Old 03-13-2015, 01:40 PM   #132
Bear Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
While I agree with all who say the citizen deserved his five minutes, he still has a problem stemming from his choice to ignore instructions from a police officer. The video makes it clear he was refusing to obey the request to leave. He was told he would be arrested if he did not leave and he chose that route. Either way (arrested or leave on request), he has a case against the select board, but risks charges of disobeying a police officer. That might end up being a bargaining chip for both parties to drop the whole thing, go into their corners for a five minute time out and start over. Both sides acted foolishly.
Several people have posted mentioning that Mr. Clay failed to obey the orders of a police officer. There is no law I am aware of that requires you to obey every order from a police officer. And if you think about it that would be the definition of a Police State, and none of us want that.

Obviously there are circumstances where the law requires you to obey police orders but I'm not convinced any of them apply to Mr. Clay. It may be possible he was trespassing because the board did suspend his time to speak and he was ordered from the room.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bear Islander For This Useful Post: