Thread: Car Inspection
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2014, 09:39 AM   #44
salty dog

Default Mass inspection

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Might depend on the shop but I know most will not pass an inspection even if you had cleared the check engine light with your diagnostic tool. The vehicle must be run for x amount of miles and if that check engine problem still exists, the light will come back on. This is why it is not acceptable to clear it and pass it.
I do have a problem with this as far as inspections go. Inspections were designed for safety and are certainly a good thing for the other drivers on the road to know your vehicle is safe. Now most failures during an inspections are for emissions which are definitely not safety related.
This is true in Mass. I worked as a service adviser for Kelly Auto group. I think Dealerships may adhere to the regulations more strictly than independent garages. But the computer for emissions here is state owned and hooked in to the main network. Often a state tech would have to come repair/re-calibrate the computer when it was down. We would have to send customers to a local shop to be inspected in the meantime. If the check light was on, the vehicle would not pass and we would give the customer the code, the problem and a quote to repair it. Could be anything from a loose gas cap (emissions code) or any number of other engine management or exhaust codes. Once the repair was made, the code was cleared and the vehicle needed to be driven approx 50 miles for the on board computer to "ready" itself for re-inspection. If the light (code) did not return, the car would pass. Failed emissions was by far, the main reason for a failed sticker, not the safety part.