Thread: Car Inspection
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 08:20 AM   #9
songkrai

My assumption is that if you have a 1997 or newer vehicle and check engine light is on - you fail inspection. OBDII took effect in 1997.
All 1997 and newer vehicles are hooked up by computer to Concord.
If this information is incorrect then please state.

Also, if a shock absorber or strut is leaking - then that is a failure. If the shock is leaking then the shock or strut has failed or failing.

My personal vehicle is always an older vehicle. I am lucky to obtain cars in very good condition. I always make sure that if anything mechanical is worn out or broken I have it fixed.

Those with older cars. I was getting an inspection sticker a few years ago. I was speaking with the owner of shop and one of his competitors came in for a visit. As the sticker was being placed on my car the competitor friend asked my inspection guy how much he was charging me for repairs. Nothing was the answer. Then the competitor friend stated that he never lets any older car come to his shop for inspection without at least $250.00 in repairs. Joking? Could have been. But he stated with a straight face.

OBDII vehicles must be connected to Concord computer to get a sticker. But I learned a long time ago to hold onto the registration. If I go to a place that I do not know the mechanic I do not provide the registration. I then ask for a mechanical inspection and agree to pay for this. If it fails I ask what is wrong. If the repair sounds or looks legitimate and the price is reasonable then I will get fixed there or take to another shop. After car passes inspection then I provide the registration. It used to be that if a car failed that failure was written on the back of the registration. So that you could not take car and registration to another shop as that shop would just read the back of the registration and see what the other shop had failed. Not sure how that works today with the newer type registration form.

All boils down to the fact that all should find an honest good local mechanic and to get routine oil changes and such to build up a relationship with this local mechanic. We are lucky in this part of the country having local mechanic shops. The newer major cities such as Phoenix mostly have the chain franchise repair shops. Those places make their money replacing parts whether needed or not. Same holds true for the new car dealers for the most part.

And I still can't figure out folks with older cars and trucks that don't get their vehicle oil undercoated every year. I see rust buckets at repair shop with people pouring lots of money into these rust buckets to keep them going.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote