Thread: Solar
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2020, 08:33 PM   #11
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
If a new roof is required, can the solar equipment be removed and then reinstalled?

At what cost?

How does re-roofing early to get it done prior to a solar installation figure in to the ROI?

Does rooftop solar equipment increase or decrease the resale value of the home?

Does it diminish the pool of potential buyers?

How fast is the technology advancing?

Will today's installation become obsolete in ten years?
Removing the system to replace roof, and then reinstalling would be pricey, and really mess up the economics I described before. I think you'd want a roof with a lot of life remaining--hoping NH Solar has the number here.

Also--on the leak risk mentioned above--a good installer will have insurance protecting you from any leaks in your roof due to solar. As I noted before, they've done this many times.

The aesthetics depend on the house and the panels. I have all black panels on a relatively new home, and they look great. From my neighbors' compliments, I would guess they have added to curb appeal and home value.

Tech is advancing slowly but steadily. I don't think my panels will be obsolete in ten years, but since I'll have them paid for in 6 or 7, and printing cash after that, I will not mind if there's a newer-better version, I'm still ahead.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote