Thread: Solar
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2020, 05:30 PM   #4
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
I have solar panels as well, in one of the best spots for solar in the US. I anticipate my system will "pay for itself" in 8 years, which means the ~$24K we spent post tax credits will have been recognized in utility bill cost savings.

However... If we invested that $24K and earned an average of 7% (currently earning much higher on other investments, so this seems conservative), and tax the growth at our average 24% tax burden (based on last 3 years of returns), I would have ~$36K in 8 years. So now my panels need to go another 4-5 years to "break even".

After maybe 15 years we will "break even", but it's a downhill slide, as the $24K we put to the panels could theoretically be earning continual interest.

Or, looking at it another way, I could set $24k aside for utility bill pre-payments and draw that account down over time, working against earned interest, and in that case we might realize an actual break-even point closer to 12 years.

This is ignoring the tax credit for solar, which you can argue is an opportunistic thing you should take advantage of, or a factor that causes false calculations.

Either way, a solar system is rarely, if ever, an "investment" in terms of net financial advantage.

Your heat pump example is closer to my initial comment in that if you have a high energy use appliance that needs replacement already, going with a high efficiency version is less of a hit than replacing a perfectly working unit. Still, these systems overall tend to not provide immediate net savings, but you may be able to offset their costs over a decade-ish of time, assuming they last that long and do not require any expensive repairs.
Not sure of your professional background, but when you say "this is ignoring the tax credit for solar" you raise a red flag that you are not calculating the return correctly. (You've got a couple of other mistake too, but I don't want to pile on.)

Returns on any investment should be calculated on an after-tax basis--the money that ends up in your pocket at the end of the day. When I said my panels were returning >15% per year that was a post-tax return (IRR) that would conform to any business school textbook or the (pretax) numbers that an investment firm such as Fidelity would provide on their investments.

15% is approximately 2X the long term after tax return on the stock market, with much lower risk. Any professional financial analyst would tell you that the solar on my house is a home run, driven by generous government incentives. Though as I concluded before--general online advice can be helpful, but every buyer should have their own specific situation analyzed by the installer.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote