Thread: August Vacation
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2013, 09:09 AM   #29
hig

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_boater View Post
I had a 21' Yamaha jet up to a couple of years ago. Calm days with little traffic, no issues. Things can get dicey quickly though when the wind quickly kicks up or even in tight quarters with some cruiser traffic. I was nearly swamped in the graveyard once when a cruiser slowed to maximum wake speed as he approached my position in the middle of the tight space of the graveyard channel. Alone would have been OK but my young daughter was with me at the time. The low freeboard, high wake height and close proximity made for a white-knuckle moment to be sure.

I had many years of experience with the yami on Winnisquam and Winni. Most days were fun, safe and great. There were more than a few days when exiting a bay such as Alton when I simply turned around rather than negotiate the 'heavy chop' with the light weight, flat bottom and low freeboard of my Yamaha jet. This was mostly a comfort decision but occasionally it leaned towards safety.

Experience and good judgment will keep you safe and fun-filled.
It does depend on what generation of Yamaha the original poster has. The older jetboats from yamaha or seadoo were basically large jetskis, shallow V hull and not much freeboard. Great fun in calm conditions, but not so good the the chop.

The newer Yamaha hulls are basically identical to a traditional IO-powered bow rider. Deep V hull and more freeboard. They do tend to be lighter because of the smaller motors and no outdrive, but in general they handle like any similarly sized bowrider would in the chop.
hig is offline   Reply With Quote