View Single Post
Old 03-18-2020, 02:58 PM   #48
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
I'm sorry, but what happens in Italy has little or no bearing on what happens in the U.S. Regardless, with socialized medicine, which certain segments of our country are clamoring for, deciding on who to treat or not treat is part of the deal. That is why a free-market health care system is superior.

My guess is that you don't own a small business. You wouldn't understand the frustration of having your business being destroyed and witnessing your employees suffering. As we speak, a good portion of our population is wondering how it will pay bills, feed families, and keep their homes. The economic price paid by this overreaction will be tremendous. And small businesses, especially restaurants, are wondering when and if they will ever reopen. Their lives matter too.

To date, the H1N1 crisis was far worse. (The present Chinese coronavirus could end up being worse, we just don't know.) How did we handle that? We didn't have reports from this country or that stating that the sky is falling. We didn't have the media or social media stirring us into a panic. We dealt with it by being responsible and taking metered steps in preventing its spread.

Personally, I don't want to see it spread, and have loved ones would probably wouldn't survive if they were afflicted with it. However, even they say it's an overreaction.
I am the Chairman and a significant shareholder of a medium size business that may be slammed by our customers' Coronavirus precautions. But I support these steps 100%, maybe 110% in that I wonder if we should do more.

Most seasoned business people understand that they are always in a tough competitive situation, fighting pressures from all directions. I will not be complaining about the government, I will be working hard to mitigate the damage, and praying that no one dies.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post: