View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 02:31 AM   #12
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CateP View Post
I was at the Wright Museum in Wolfeboro last night for a gala fundraiser and for the first time I spent some time looking at the exhibits. It really is a wonderful museum. I felt like I had gone back in time. One display had pictures of the Pearl Harbor attack taken by a guy who had just flown in that morning. Incredible.
(I am a HUGE WWII buff)

Even though I wasn't alive that day I feel like I have a sense of what it must have felt like having gone through 9/11.

Wondering if there are forum members who can tell us about their memories of that day?
My Dad and an acquaintence of his could keep us WW2 buffs enthralled for many hours. Both Wolfeboro residents keep finding articles and souvenirs to send to the Wright Museum.

On December 7th, 1941 my Dad was a lowly Navy Ensign "getting hours" in his logbook in a patrol-bomber, known as a Catalina flying boat in England, and PBY in the states. When news of Pearl Harbor was received, he guessed he would be doing patrol in the SW Pacific, which did pan out. He probably didn't count on losing five PBYs to gunfire and misadventure, but the U. S. Navy kept giving him more of 'em. He shared a hospital room with JFK.

World War II buffs can't be complete without a subscription to World War II History bi-monthly magazine—(800) 219-1187. In the latest issue, WWII History magazine relates that, prior to Pearl Harbor—and the two Declarations of War that followed:

1) The U.S. was already in a shooting war in the Atlantic,
2) The U.S. had invaded Iceland,
3) The U.S. Coast Guard (!) removed the Nazis from Greenland,
4) and that although the PBY that sighted the Nazi's Bismarck battleship—leading to its destruction—was British, the pilot was an American.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
I watch the first 20 minutes of the Today Show..AND the cable chanels every morning......Morning Joe, Fox and Friends, C-Span, etc: There was NO Mention of December 7th anywhere. I hadn't thought of it myself..UNTIL I turned on my Local Radio Talk show......They reminded me. Where was the National Media.... NB
The National Media needs to be reminded of Joseph Pulitzer's admonition:

Maybe this postage stamp needs to be reissued as a "Forever" stamp?