View Single Post
Old 03-02-2011, 07:35 PM   #43
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
I hope Mr. Forsythe does not consider the opinions of his contituents when voting. He is not a representative and is not supposed to base his votes on popular opinion or things specific to his district. Being a Senator his job is much more important and he is supposed to vote based on facts and for the good of the entire state, popular or not. It seems like so many Senators (especially at the national level) forget that and are concerned more with doing the popular thing to get re-elected than doing the right thing.
I have to respectfully disagree with your assessment of the role politicians play, as we do live in a representative republic. Our elected representatives are just that, supposed to represent the best interest of their constituents. Therefore I would expect that they would take under consideration what the people they represent have to say and vote accordingly, even if it happens to be in direct conflict with their own personal position.

Of course facts need to weigh into any decision as well but you can't just completely disregard public opinion either. The problem is politicians spend their time pandering to special interests, fall prey to media scrutiny, or even worse take the "party line" all because they stand to personally gain from such positions. That's where we the voters have to pay close attention to who is in public office, these reps are NOT sent into office to do what's best for them or their political careers, they are there to represent the folks that put them there in the first place.

I fully expect that any elected official who may hold a position that is contrary to popular opinion would have the fortitude to go out and explain themselves to those that put them into office, if they are on the correct side of the issue they will successfully win the hearts and minds of the voters.