View Single Post
Old 03-06-2019, 12:24 AM   #61
kawishiwi

Default Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
I am happy to provide amusement whenever possible!

Regarding climate change, our records go back 150 or so years. Based on this limited sample size, how can anyone determine that manmade climate change exists? We know where we live was once a tropical paradise and once covered by a glacier, so we know climate change does exist. My point is that with the such small sample size how does anyone know that it can be caused by man. Remember, in the 1970s, all we heard about was the danger of global cooling. So things change. (That said, I am not an advocate of pollution, and would support efforts to reduce/eliminate pollution.)

Regarding wealth inequality, during my lifetime the playing field has been slanted to help the disadvantaged. I could name countless federal and state programs designed to help people improve their lot in life. What has that achieved? Nothing. The successful people I know are hard working, somewhat intelligent, willing to take risks, and resilient. No one of these traits guarantees success. However, anyone, and I mean anyone, who employs these traits stands a good chance of achieving some level of success. Wealth inequality, especially in the United States, has more to do with the person in the mirror than institutional forces working against success.

Regarding white privilege, this is just silly, especially over the past 50 years. As mentioned above, affirmative action and federal programs designed to help people of color are actually examples of reverse discrimination and should be unconstitutional. Notwithstanding, what is the result of all of these programs? Things are worse than ever. Not because of ones skin color, but because of the degradation of our institutional structure, such as family, church and community. In the Army, where the playing field is as level as anywhere, I can assure you there was no such thing as white privilege. I certainly never witnessed it. Each person was evaluated and promoted on his or her own merit.
You sound like a Fox News Hallucination digest.