View Single Post
Old 06-16-2008, 03:03 PM   #57
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Blackdogs View Post
These boats have a good reputation, but that hull IS thin. Other large boats have been known to climb over Lake Superior's rock jettys at high speeds saving their drivers. Some fiberglass cloth hanging low from deckline level on this Formula don't appear to have been thoroughly infused with resin. Possibly an error in construction? Fiberglass cloth is now made in China.

I correct myself on the amount of light available.

Just checking today's weather, I see that there is a full moon. I saw other boats miles away after midnight so the visibility was very good, at least after midnight. This boat's direction was from the most open part of the lake, so distractions or just not paying attention seems likely. Comments of a temporary government suspension of GPS seem hardly likely at all.
HUH?

Formula does not make a thin-hulled boat at all, in fact they historically have a rather heavy build and have a great reputation. Unless you are a nationally accredited marine surveyor and are overqualified to the point of being able to make such judgements from a website picture about the resin, hull composition, etc you are spewing garbage.

The night was cold, dark and raining at that time. At 1am when we got out of the hot tub and went to bed it was not raining yet but it was extremely dark.

For the record, that boat is capable of 53mph+/-, not exactly a GFBL. It has a dry weight of 15,100lbs and the intertia that it would have at even 25mph could be extremely destructive.