View Single Post
Old 06-16-2008, 09:53 AM   #38
4Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Lover View Post
Several years ago a friend and neighbor was killed in another needless tragedy on Winnipesaukee. At that time many of us came together in hopes of bringing about change and to prevent these types of accidents. Through years of name calling and hostility we have attempted to improve safety on the lake. Its good that at least one newspaper remembers Jack's name. How many years will it be before yesterdays accident is considered to long ago to be relevant?

We can't sweep another accident under the rug and wait until the next. Some good can come from even the worst tragedies. The best way to honor the dead and console the living is to work to keep it from happening again.
I agree I.L. We should not sweep these under the rug. We should learn from these tragedies and avoid them in the future. Would a 25MPH speed limit have helped here? Who knows, I personally think no. People make mistakes and make bad choices all the time. Depending on regualtions and laws to prevent this is not going to work.

Even without hearing any real facts other than seeing the picture of the boat you can figure out she was going to fast for the conditions, probably less than the proposed limit, and made some bad decisions. She broke the basic rule of driving any vehicle. How do you write a law that encompases so many variables withour crippling the entire activity? you can't. We somehow need to educate drivers so they can make better decisions.

My thoughts go out to everyone involved.