Thread: Payback Time
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2008, 10:59 AM   #96
Bear Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
True, but as I mentioned above the punishment comes in the form of a speeding ticket and points on your license, unless you already have a bunch of points on your record and are that close to suspension anyhow it is a simple fine. Other laws in existance hold criminal charges, such as the one that winnilaker mentioned. The gripe seems to be whether having a speed limit law on the books will have serious effect in a negligent boating accident, I do not see that it would. A fine gets paid, if in fact they actually could prove speed.
I will agree that the penalties for speeding can't be more than specified in HB847. However if you are talking about a charge like criminally negligent homicide, I would expect that the speeding violation could make a big difference.

If you were going twice the speed limit when the accident occurred, that is a strong indication you were negligent, even criminally negligent.

With no speed limit you can argue the speed you were going was reasonable, you may win that battle of you may lose. However if you were going twice the legal speed limit it's going to be very hard to show you were not negligent.

I'm surprised Skip has not jumped in on this one, he must have experience in this.