Thread: Payback Time
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2008, 02:00 PM   #40
Turtle Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper of the Sea Que View Post
It doesn't mention SPEED or economic windfall but Turtle Boy must believe the report supports his theory. I leave it to you to make your own informed decision.

Safe boating to all
Yes, but did you read the part about public opinion poll results in the study of select economic values of NH lakes,rivers,streams and ponds lists one of the reasons people visit freshwaters are "quality of fishing, boating, and swimming".
"Most residents report that if conditions worsened, they would decrease participating in activities..."

That being said, the loss of that 1% of GFBL boats might well be expected to be offset by income brought to the state by those who found these boats objectionable. So for Dave R, one would not have to be insane to think that a drop in boater visits could lead to an economic windfall. That is why many lake's region businesses have supported speed limits...they believe too (often from their customers who have told them) that the need for speed crowd has indeed driven away business. Commodore might well try to convince you that these perceptions are nothing but Winnfabs myths but in reality I've been hearing of similar experiences for 20 years at work from my colleagues who know I go to Winni. Some of you may remember a not too favorable review of Winni from a Boston Newspaper about 15 years ago, long before the birth of Winnfabs. Winnfabs, with it's many members/contributors, exists today because of these very real issues that have not until recently been addressed.