Thread: Payback Time
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2008, 07:43 AM   #32
Skipper of the Sea Que
Deceased Member

Question Phase IV Report on the Economic Value of NH's Surface Waters

Turtle Boy references - The Economic Impact of Potential Decline in New Hampshire Water Quality:
The Link Between Visitor Perceptions, Usage and Spending Phase IV Report, May 2007
Steering Committee of the Lakes, Rivers, Streams & Ponds Partnership -(that's a mouthful) but he did not include a link to this report.

Economic-Study-Phase-IV-Brochure - pdf

One conclusion of the "report": Key Regional Findings - Perceived water quality decline could mean varying economic losses for state’s regions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle Boy View Post
What are you saying? Of course speed is an issue. {snip}. Speed is the issue. And if that 1% of boaters(per this forum) leaves the lake or slows down, it could be an economic windfall, according to my post this AM referring to the NH Lakes ,Rivers, Streams and Ponds Partnership report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle Boy
I suspect that lost revenue from GFBL boats will be more than offset by other boaters and vacationers. They might not be spending it at the gas dock or the dockside restaurant, but there are many other lake's region vendors who will benefit. (check out the Phase IV Report on the Economic Value of NH's Surface Waters- the Link Between Visitor Perception, Usage, and Spending prepared by the NH Lakes, Rivers, Streams and Ponds Partnership-2007 if you don't believe me)
Or check it out for your own edification.

From the Phase IV study: Purpose
The primary goal of this study was to answer the question:
“How would the state economy be affected if residents and visitors who fish, boat and swim perceive any negative changes to the water quality in the areas where they recreate?”

The secondary study goals were to create useful information for policy makers, and promote “big picture” thinking that overcomes the perception that growth and healthy public waters are mutually exclusive.

----
Another key conclusion of the report:
Key Statewide Findings
Current perception of water quality is very good.
The survey looked at the following criteria in this State Wide lakes study:

[note:The first percentage # = Satisfaction: % of respondents Satisfied or Very Satisfied.
The 2nd % = Rating: percentage of respondents giving highest rating.]

Overall quality 85% 74%
Clarity & purity 79% 65%
Crowding 60% 91%
Views & scenery 94% 91%
Water level or flow 90% 66%[/b]

Seems like a vast majority were currently satisfied with the lakes. Not that I am validating the study, just my observation.

Interested readers should check out this short report. It doesn't mention SPEED or economic windfall but Turtle Boy must believe the report supports his theory. I leave it to you to make your own informed decision.

Safe boating to all

Amateur HAM Radio What is it? You'll be surprised. When all else fails Ham Radio still works.
Shriners Hospitals providing specialized care for children regardless of ability to pay. Find out more or refer a patient.