Thread: Safety Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2009, 04:07 PM   #1
VtSteve

Default Safety Thread

I'm not sure Opposers Thread is a good title. From the beginning of this debate, I've followed most of the arguments, media reports, and tried to get as much information as possible. I certainly don't want anyone locked out of this thread, but Don may have a better idea

Ironic as it is, the MP did not think speed was an issue per se. It can be an issue as in Too Fast For Conditions, but that's a term used relative to other factors. In the vast majority of accidents on inland waterways, alcohol is a major factor, especially involving fatal accidents. If you have followed accident on Winnipesaukee for the last thirty years, you'll find that for such an active lake, it's pretty darn safe. Other parts of the country don't have such a record.

Similar to what happens in Washington DC, I feel this law was rushed. It does have some good aspects to it, the mandated speed limit itself not being one of them. It's incomplete, and a truly unfunded mandate. We can read a variety of stories on these forums, talking about Captain Bonehead. A rather ambiguous term that can define the truly arrogant, ignorant, or just selfish boater. Someone that should either be forced to reform his/her ways, or be driven away.

Anyone thats followed this debate knows it started well before last year. The infamous Littlefield accident certainly seems to have spurred on the movement to its present state. Briefly, it's the story of a man that got into his boat at the town dock (forgetting to untie it before leaving according to reports), and was apparently drinking before hand. His boat was doing under 30 mph at night in the Bay, and he came up from behind another boat (in his Baja I believe), and killed a man. Someone can dig up the link, I don't have it here currently.

At any rate, he did what he did and was convicted of a crime. This spurred on a movement that sought to rid the lake of performance boats in general. I'd like to be rid of people like him myself, for what that's worth. Last year we had another case, involving an outspoken founder of an organization that fought against the speed limits. She was the skipper of a cruiser that ran into an island on a foggy night, and death resulted for a passenger. She's going on trial in October I believe it was. Another accident, another death. Neither involved high speed, and just to make the story sound worse, the pro speed limit crowd termed her boat a GF boat. It was not. But what the heck, call it what you want.

In many of these threads, the real problems on the water were not being addressed by the pro crowd, and were actually ignored by most. Failing to address any of the relevant facts, and having no data nor anything substantial to back them up, they rely on Perceptions and fear. It's much harder to debate one's fear than it is to address or counteract facts. So in reality, here we are, one year later, and they require their own thread to address their fears and perceptions.

Fear is a good thing to have, in balance. It keeps us cautious, keeps us in control. I try not to have fear of the unknown, but I do fear today's band of unskilled tubers, PWC's, and generally reckless or drunk boaters. If one thing scares me, it's night boaters without lights on

How to address these issues? I'd first start with the MP themselves. I'd like to think they read these threads, but I don't know if they do or not. They obviously have no extra funding for their new laws, the so-called safety groups didn't have time for any of that, they were out politicking. So perhaps a new funding advocate could be formed.

If anyone can add to the suggestions put forth this year, great. If anyone can factually cite erroneous information, I'd appreciate it being posted. If people want to list their boats owned ( I wish they would), please do so. Please no name-calling, no shouting, just ideas and postings of facts. I'd like this thread to be more above-board than I know the other will be. Yes, this is a competiotion for best behavior.

Steve

2006 Stingray 220CS cuddy, 5.0 small block V8.