View Single Post
Old 03-26-2021, 10:43 AM   #14
MeredithMan

Default Is it an LG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
Thanks for your comments. I detest today’s technology in appliances! We had a fridge that we bought in the early 60’s that survived 3 moves, and was still going strong in ‘99 when we gave it to someone who had no fridge. This thing is 3 years old and it appears that we can go to the poorhouse fixing it.....or buy a new one.
🤨
Sue:

Is it an LG fridge? They are notorious for failing in the first few years. When we bought our house in MA in 2015, the previous owners had just bought a new LG fridge. In 2018, we noticed, (similar to you), that the ice cream and other things in the freezer were soft. Then, it started making this grinding noise. The previous owners had bought it at Home Depot, and they were of no help, so I contacted a family friend in the appliance business who said that he didn't sell or service LG because they don't last. He referred me to an independent appliance repair guy. He came out to look at it and said that LG went to a sealed compressor on their fridges and they are notorious for failing. Because it's a sealed unit, it has to be swapped out with a new one, not repaired. Long story short, it would have cost about a grand to fix the LG, (with a refurbed compressor, not a new one), so we bit the bullet and bought a whole new fridge for 2 grand, (GE Profile). The LG was only 4 yrs old and was sent to the scrap heap.

The independent repair guy told me that Samsungs aren't far behind. But, the LGs and Samsungs are very popular, because they have lots of shiny lights and gizmos at an attractive price point, so the average homeowner buys them at Home Depot and Lowes, but then has to replace them a few years later when they conk out.
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote