View Single Post
Old 03-13-2020, 05:41 PM   #22
Irish mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
No--that's the surprise--unlike books, newspapers, music, movie theaters--technology has NOT displaced them. Everybody has laptops, tablets, iPhones, and nobody's reading books...but everybody's still going to the library.

You should visit one (seriously, I don't say that to troll you). You'll be surprised.
I know that you are sincere. I have a family member who is a library professional in the Boston area and about 40% of her staff have been phased out over the last 10 years or so. It's already well on its way to being done.

It's not a matter of town libraries offering an important service, they do. The mega-point is that they are, and will be playing a smaller part of information services in the future.

The old model of multi-million dollar physical buildings & multiple employees is not justified in this day & age. Many, many cities & towns have already consolidated & cut back on payroll and building expansions. It's inevitable due to the nature of the information. It can be done by & large electronically.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Irish mist For This Useful Post: