View Single Post
Old 11-18-2020, 09:16 AM   #60
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

So I am trying to decipher some of the things going on here...

Why are we shutting the heat source off? Leaving it set to some minimal number such as say 50 degrees, will keep the home warm enough to prevent all kinds of potential issues.

Now the hot water tank, if you drain the pipes, drain the tank..... Make sure that the gas supply is turned off and the electrical connection is unplugged. If you don't do both, you are like to return to a pilot ignition system that may not work.

I do believe somewhere I read that a service will be checking on the home. Make sure that they check the place for rodent infestation... periodically... This is the primary reason I trek up to the camp once or twice a winter.... If I see signs of the buggers I set traps etc. and return a week or two later to dispose of the DB......

The best advice, is to do what makes you most comfortable. I actually disconnect my electric water heater complete after the breaker has been turned off and I have drained it.... Don't ask me why I started doing that but I have my reasons... Being the last sight I see in regards to the HOT water heater, there is no doubt in my mind it is off..... (Disclaimer, I do put wire nuts on the end of the exposed wires coming from the electric panel for safety)......

Once you figure out what is going to make you comfortable, you will find that walking away is easy.....

Last edited by LIforrelaxin; 11-19-2020 at 05:04 PM. Reason: gramatical issues
LIforrelaxin is offline   Reply With Quote