View Single Post
Old 06-29-2019, 05:11 AM   #46
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
I am not sure how I am wrong. All I did was repeat the dealers policy. You may feel the dealers policy is wrong.

I also bought a car in Illinois in March. That dealer (a large dealership that sells 1,200 cars per month) had the same policy. They had to ship the car to avoid the sales tax. I got into a lengthy discussion process with them and even got a legal opinion from the Illinois Department of Revenue that supported the dealer's position. That opinion stated that if I, or my trucking company, took possession of the car in Illinois the sales tax would be due.

I had the car in my possession for 3 weeks before I got them to release the title. Eventually, the dealership paid my sales tax so they would not have trouble with the Illinois DOR. That is despite my providing them with a legal opinion from an attorney at their DOR stating that no sales tax was due.
Well, if it actually happening to us isn't proof enough that you are wrong than I guess I am not going to convince you. You can believe whoever "told" you whatever and go on your merry way believing what you want. I am not going to argue with you.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote