View Single Post
Old 10-20-2008, 05:25 PM   #124
Chickie

Default More Ramblings

The owners of the Shore Diner purchased the Captain's Table around 1970 and operated it until 1981. The old Shore Diner was torn down in 1973 to make way for Burger King. After they sold the Captain’s Table in ’81, they operated the Paugus Diner just up the road. I don’t know why those seafood restaurants went out of business. They all started off with a bang but patronage eventually dwindled. I guess it was the sign of the times - people were riding the wave of the new fast food places.

I remember the opening of MacDonald’s in Laconia was a big event. About a year prior to their arrival on the scene, an enterprising man started his own mini business based on the McDonald model. It was called Mr. Beef and was located on Union Avenue near the Messer Street junction – sold burgers and shakes only. He was doing a tremendous business and raking in the bucks when rumor spread that McDonald’s was coming to town. When McDonald’s opened its doors, his business took a nosedive and he erected a sign out front which read, “Old McDonald had a farm and I wish he had stayed there.”

Yes, the Globe was first located at the foot of White Oaks Road and was actually an expansion of the old Keller’s Ice Cream building. It was there for several years before moving to the location across from the airport. I am not certain about this, but think the “Mart” was built while Globe was still at the first location. They ran concurrently for a few years and when the Mart closed, the Globe moved there, as it was a larger building. Everyone loved the old Globe. If you couldn’t find an item anywhere, you could find it at Globe and at quite a bargain price.

Those were the days!
Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote