Thread: Pier 19
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2018, 08:39 PM   #21
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
I am going to pull out the BS card....

The problem isn't the 3.5 month cash flow not being enough. It is more then enough or any smart business man would have gotten the property sold off by now if it wasn't, and was costing him money.

More then enough money is/was being made operating as a season business. Even when it was Hunter's supermarket.

The problem is the same for every seasonal business, staffing. I am sure that opening up every summer with mostly new staff is a lot work, and year after year I can see how that could getting tiring. Jo Jo's was always and still is lucky that they have some employees that come back year after year... Peir 19 doesn't seem to have that luck. Now they could hire people to work all year around, but then you have to start worrying about benefits etc. which cuts into the profits...

While I will admit that the asking price is steep.... I also think there has been lots of recent investments (new gas pumps etc.).... So its not a neglected property... Once again confirming my belief that the business is profitable.

I will continue to state, that come July 4th if the store isn't open, then I will believe that until the property sells we all will be out of luck.... But I have seen this behavior before.... I never count on the store opening but I am not ready to draw the for gone conclusion that it will not...
I agree. Plus, you kind of answer your own question/BS calling. 3.5 months is only insufficient if a person believes the asking price is fair.

If you believe the store is worth less than the asking price, then 3.5 months seems like enough time to cover the fair value of the store. It would be interesting to know the historical prices.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote