View Single Post
Old 06-05-2016, 05:18 PM   #35
Newbiesaukee

Default I have volunteered...

...to do the definitive New Woodshed review with some provisos:

First, this is partly tongue-in-cheek. Recognizing that this is both the Internet and the Winnipesaukee Forum, this is a necessary disclaimer.

Secondly, nothing tastes as good as it did 25 years ago. A wise man once said "Nostalgia is the biggest lie of all." It is.

Nothing is as good as it is in (fill in the blank, usually ones home town). Although I am from Florida and can say with authority that as inexperienced as some of the employees may be at the Lake, I take niceness over experience any day.

Regardless of what the prices really are or the value of the meal, they are too high.

With respect to speed of service, my late father-in-law was not pleased unless his meal was placed in front of him the moment he sat down. My late father, on the other hand, did not consider it dining if the meal was less than three hours. Guess what our family dinners were like?

Now to my review: the New Woodshed is pretty darned good.

But, to expand. The owners have definitely taken some financial risks. The building and grounds are lovely and very well done. There is the main dining room very much like the old Woodshed..but with better floors and seating; and there is a very nice and very large bar area.

We were seated promptly..the bar was buzzing and the dining room was busy but not full. This was Friday at 7 pm. It filled a little later. The service (Carly) was very good and: she handled my wife's questions (concerning certain food sensitivities) in just the right way. The pace was fine for us...appropriately midway between my FIL and my father's preferences. The large tables around us did not seem unhappy with the service. The manager stopped by the table and actually did things to help the young staff and please the diners. What a concept.

To answer questions raised on the Forum...Swirler sized drinks are available, the bread in the flower pot was there; and the bread was actually better than the old, somewhat bland recipe.

The menu is a good mix of the old and the new. There are a few new things, a few old things and some things borrowed. Oh, this sounds like a wedding. Anyway, the menu is a bit larger with a few more offerings. The prices are a bit higher...no surprise there. Salad does not come with the entrees ( $2.95 for the house salad, 3.95for the Caesar) both with an entree. But a lot of stuff does come with an entree. The usual veg-of-the day medley is a big improvement over the old-veg-of-the day medley.

I had the duck, dear wife had the filet, and both were good. We don't usually eat dessert, but there was a nice selection including some old favorites.

All in all, we will definitely return. The food isn't the best in the Lakes region ( Lemon Grass is our favorite). BUT...

...it is definitely the place I would take guests or celebrate a special occasion (it was my birthday) and we wish them future success.

The New Woodshed deserves it.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to Newbiesaukee For This Useful Post: