View Single Post
Old 05-03-2019, 12:17 PM   #26
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
From a practical point of view it's called exploitation.

It's purposely suppressing wages by importing millions of unskilled non-citizen workers that will work for peanuts out of desperation all in the interest of keeping inflation in check. Interesting concept.... rather ironic from the same people that rail about upping the minimum wage to a "living wage" which would not drive up inflation?!? I'm no economics guru but something doesn't add up.
It's definitely exploitation, but the practical kind, not the unfair kind. I'm confident that these folks would rather detail boats for 15 bucks an hour instead of sitting in a detention center doing nothing, earning nothing and adding nothing to society. What you see as the negative form of exploitation, they would see as a great opportunity.

If it were up to me, jobs would be posted and when they are not filled by US citizens after X number of weeks, they would be offered to folks in detention centers that are waiting for asylum hearings. If they do good work and stay employed, everybody wins. If they can't seem to hold a job after a few tries, we send them home and know that we dodged a bullet. It's not the kindest way to do it, but it's practical and vastly more humane than what's happening now. It would also boost the economy by keeping the most productive people here and working.

I also don't think the solution is to pay high-skill wages to highly-skilled laborers to do unskilled work. That does not add up.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post: