View Single Post
Old 11-27-2019, 08:04 PM   #70
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
What many people forget is that in jet skis and jet boats as long as the motor is running the pump never stops. Even in neutral the intake is still drawing in water and in shallow water whatever sand, rocks, and weeds are below can be sucked up.

I found if you have at least a foot of clean water under the hull you could idle to deeper water before touching the throttle without drawing any debris in.

I have beached jet skis many times but always get it heading for shore and try to shut it off in about 2 feet of water and let the headway take care of the rest.

When I sucked up weeds in a Yamaha jet boat you could tell right away by the reduced power and minor shaking, out of balance feel. On some occasions I could get it back up to speed and then shut the motor off. Many times the suction of the passing water (without any suction from the motor) would clear the intake screens of debris. Sometimes the only way to clear the intake was to get under it and do it by hand. In time, you make fewer errors and learn to avoid these problems.
I forgot to thank you for this--I wouldn't have known the pump is constantly running, even in neutral.

So, whenever I'm in a situation where something is close enough to be sucked in, I should make sure the machine is off. Check!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote