View Single Post
Old 10-15-2021, 07:25 PM   #39
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander View Post
In NH, 10 acres and more, can be taxed at a reduced rate, if declared "current Use"; Google it.

An additional reduction, if declared recreational use, in current use; e.g., letting snowmobilers go thru the property, etc.

You can restrict motorized vehicles and still claim current use with the low tax rate.

Actual Example for "current use":
Bought three years ago, 34 acres in Moultonborough that was in "current use" and annual town property tax was $24; not a typo ... twenty four dollars per year for 34 acres on land.

Took out of current use, a little under 2 acres for new-build house and driveway from the 34 acres. Was Taxed 10% of the assessed value of the just under 2 acres, and the rest on the property was still current use with very low tax rate.

On-going tax rate reflects just under 2 acres at regular assessed tax rate and balance of the 34 acres tax at the low current use rate.

Anyone with ten or more acres of vacant land should be looking at "current use", to pay a very reduced annual town tax.
Maxum's point is those generous programs may disappear.

I know half a dozen families that were "taxed" out of their home in NH over the years. And I know several planning on it. They know they can't afford to stay after they retire. I don't know of any in MA.
mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mswlogo For This Useful Post: