Thread: Sandbars
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2020, 04:08 AM   #75
ApS

Question Where is That Winnipesaukee Caffeine Study?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Cougar View Post
And one more reason why no one should be peeing in the lake. Urine contains trace amount of pharmaceuticals including estrogen from birth control pills that can disrupt the normal reproductive cycle in male fish. I hope this is food for thought, especially all those people who are concerned about fertilizer runoff and pesticides going into the lake.
I am pretty new to the Winnepesaukee Forum. Do we have a science teacher on here?
If it wasn't apparent in the concurrent discussion of Fishers ("Fisher-cats"), my science background is in Zoölogy.

I can get pretty deep into scientific papers written on lakewater quality. (Maybe "translate" for the forum?)

And, yes, you'd have been correct a few years ago; however, WebMD has new information:
https://www.webmd.com/women/news/201...n-water-supply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
Duck itch is an allergic reaction. Not everyone gets it.
If you get out of the lake in deep water (end of dock, or back into boat), you're unlikely to get it. Wind and wave action concentrates the parasites in shallow water.

While it is an allergic reaction, it's much like a mosquito bite. (They're "out there", waiting for you).
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote