Thread: Deer
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2022, 10:01 AM   #13
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB1 View Post
Correct. There was controlled archery hunting allowed on the island for a number of years. I don’t know if they still do it but no one was hired for that. Baiting was allowed as the deer density was much to high. Posted land seems to be popping up more and more now. That will contribute to higher deer numbers.
As an island resident, as others have stated this is an ongoing tradition. And will continue to be needed. The problem on the island or any island for that matter is that Hunting is actually not allowed.... Two things lead to the population problem on long island, 1st was natural, there was plenty of grazing area, and open meadows the deer recognized it, and also recognized there was no danger while on the island. The 2nd thing that lead to the over population was man, as the deer population began to be two much for the island to support, people began feeding the deer... this made the problem worse. In the late 80s and early 90s the death rate of deer on the island in the winter months from starvation was alarming... as what became a primary food source would disappear....

There was lots of opposition to the thinning of the heard, I remember seeing signs, with the phrase "the killing fields" in read paint on the main road... But eventually Fish and Game, was able to get people to wake up.... The first few years where rough, I remember talking to the hunters some of whom had been confronted headed for the tree stands... But slowly as time has gone on, and the entire event is kept very quiet, it goes off with out notice, except for those of us that know where to look. Nothing happens on the weekends, all the hunting is done during the week, and as some others have said from designated spots, and tree stands... Last I checked, the participation in the event is still limited to a single Archery Club.....

Because of this effort, the deer on the island are much healthier, they aren't everywhere like they used to be so you have to know where to look... I see some almost every weekend when I am there, and the vegetation they need to survive, has come back so the forest on the island is also extremely healthy....