View Single Post
Old 07-07-2019, 06:51 PM   #17
Top-Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehtelake View Post
To the person who posted that the Dive had dropped anchor to take safe harbor... please get your facts correct before you post. Were your there? I was.

I have no feeling for the Dive either way. However, I watched the entire event from a few doors down. The truth is there was no anchor dropped. The barge rammed into the rocks after coming straight in to Smith Point at a surprisingly fast rate of speed. It was obvious to anyone who was there to witness it, that the captain did not have command of the Dive. Regardless of the reason - it ran aground and just missed a boathouse. If the captain had control and was truly seeking safe harbor, Glidden Cove was wide open. This would have been a better option for safety rather than crashing into rocks in someones waterfront. After it was pulled out by another boat, it sat between Sleepers and Smith Point for a while. I saw two jets skis circling around like they were trying to help.

Today’s Posts make a good point about how hard it is to navigate a barge on the lake and I believe it. After watching this calamity last night, it convinced me that the only time I would ever go on the Dive is when it is securely tied up to a dock.

Based on how the barge hit the rocks, there had to be damage and that may be why they were closed today. Or perhaps they all just wanted to enjoy a beautiful day on the lake.
Welcome to the forum,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehtelake View Post
The barge rammed into the rocks after coming straight in to Smith Point at a surprisingly fast rate of speed.
What would you estimate that speed to be 10, 20, 30, or 40mph.
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote