View Single Post
Old 07-02-2014, 08:37 PM   #24
jkjoshuatree

Default There's A Great Beach On Blueberry...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF-NH View Post
Viewing is best from the east side of the island which is pretty deep on the approach to as close as you can get without having foreground trees obstruct the view. If you go b/t the island and Hull or the island and Black Cat, it is much more shallow and the view isn't as good. We were staying in a place off of Kona for most of last week and checked in regularly with our eagle neighbors and were never alone. There were always a few toons, bow riders or yaks checking them out also. Some people were getting out on the island (I have no idea why) but I think there is no benefit to the viewer to do this and think observers should give them that space. Bring binoculars if you really want to see them. With the naked eye, they are just outlines but a good set of glass will bring you right in there.

…it's kind of cool to walk around the island because it's so small. There's a boy scout shack on there too. And of course you can pick blueberries.

I used to take our Whaler over there all the time as a teenager with a cooler full of food and drinks and spend the day there, snorkeling around it and hanging on the little beach.

It's really surprising how quickly it gets deep when you go from the west side of the island and snorkel clockwise towards the north and northeast.

It's a cool place to hang out for the day. A ton of people do it. You usually can't get near the beach during the weekend.