View Single Post
Old 12-13-2010, 11:20 AM   #33
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
There are always two parts of any budget shortfall, spending and taxes. Just because people agree that spending should be cut, doesn't mean that fees should not be adjusted.

I believe that fees addressed at a user of services is more conservative and even libertarian than general taxes paid by the masses to benefit a few.

NH must and will provide rescue services to a drowning kayaker. Should the kayaking community help pay for this service through fees or should everyone in NH pay through general taxes?
Budgets are based on the previous year's expenses and on expected revenue for that year. Shortfalls can occur when there's unanticipated expenses, such as a sudden increase in fuel prices, and that's when something like a contingency fund can be set up. Money within a budget line item can be transferred to the budget line item where you have an anticipated shortfall - or a municipality may leave that budget line item alone just to show where there was a shortfall for next year's budget planning... Generally speaking, if something within a budget is a MAJOR capital improvement expense (like renovating a town building or purchasing police cruisers), it will be paid for in a fund that extends out over several years vs. a one-time high payment which would result in a tax increase for that year...

That being said...

Personally, I don't place the cost of rescue at the same level as hiring more MP personnel or other use-related activities. It may be that an emergency never happens - or it may be that there are several on a lake in a year - and who can plan on someone just needing a tow back to shore vs. someone needing the DHART (Dartmouth's helicopter) to take them to a trauma center? You can't plan emergencies... and whether it was me, my kids, you, or your loves ones, I don't think you can put a price (or charge) on emergency services provided by municipalities. All towns have a "mutual aid" policy that I know of - they will come to each other's aid at a time of need, with no charge - and reciprocate. You can't put a price on that!