View Single Post
Old 12-13-2010, 08:14 AM   #27
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
I stand by the belief that there should be a fee. I am not going to debate it, because like all other controversial subjects some people will get ridiculous in their examples of what should be licensed and what should not. Bogey boards, sure. Rubber duckies, if you can ride it, why not. Stick a decal on a hiker's butt, OK. Of course these examples are insane, but I pay a huge property tax, for the privilege of using a house that can never be sold for 2-3 weeks a year. I'm not bitter, but I would like to see the tax and fee burden shared.

If you don't agree, fine I can live with that.
I respectfully submit the following:

Then why not a usage fee?

Why not ask the people using the public ramps to pay an entry fee for using the lake?

The lake front property owners already pay a tax - property tax - and shouldn't have to pay again to register a boat, even if it has motor or paddle - period. If the weekend warriors that come up here to camp or whatever (non-property owners/tax payers) need to fork over some money, then do it when they enter the water. It would be easier to maintain, boats could be checked for milfoil, and there would less MP's on the water.

I am not in favor of raising revenue from anything that may hurt tourism in NH, which hurts businesses in the long run - especially small businesses. Taxes have been raised on prepared food (restaurant tax), vehicle registration, boat registration, camping, etc. - this impacts the locals but it really impacts the tourists and the non-voting tax-payers. It really helps no one and in this bad economy is a poor proposal for raising revenue.