View Single Post
Old 12-12-2018, 07:58 PM   #22
Lakesailor

Great thread on snowblowers. It is definitely easier to just wait for the plow guy. But if you must get out when you need to get out, the plow guy could be hours away. I've also seen them do damage to the blacktop, the lawn, the shrubs. etc. One guy actually plowed into the neighbor's cherry tree and took off a large piece of bark, eventually killing the tree. (He disavowed all knowledge of that of course). Honda is expensive for sure, and not really worth it unless you plan on having it for 20+ years, and take reasonable care of it also. I bought a brand new Honda HS 524 in 1986 ( won't tell you what I paid for it). Do the math, it is now 32 years old. Two winters ago, the original auger belt snapped on the last pass on the last storm. I changed both belts myself the next spring and it is still going strong. It is a beast for a small blower, everything is metal, no plastic at all. Parts still available. For me, it was worth it, but I probably wouldn't do it again. Today's philosophy is use till it breaks, then through out.
Lakesailor is offline   Reply With Quote