View Single Post
Old 01-07-2021, 05:43 PM   #71
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
One of the things I teach my seniors is to think carefully about how they will pay for school. We go as deep as talking about the overall interest penalties in unsubsidized vs. subsidized loans.

For many, including myself, starting life in the red because of school loans is a necessary evil...and one that flushes all this talk about having an extra $100k/$300 mth. down the drain.

And this isn't just college anymore—trade schools and certifications have increased in costs, too. And, though unions and businesses will often "pay" for the schooling, the costs are often reflected in lower pay for the initial years.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
This is one of the really messed up things about our society. Colleges are supposed to be the onramp to American meritocracy. But too many kids have to weigh the finances too carefully, and then are saddled with debt on the back end. This leaves our most prestigious schools to the rich who can pay full fare, and the poor who often qualify for a full ride. The vast middle? Not nearly as able to pay for the best schools as they were 30 years ago. Thus we are less meritocratic and weaker as a country.

Also, let's not pretend that somehow all colleges are equal in terms of the doors they open for the future. They are not--the more expensive private schools give a huge leg up in networking, and those give a huge leg up in job prospects.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote